Kellogg’s Cafe to open on Broadway
Jul 4, 2016
Cereal giant Kellogg’s will open its first permanent cafe on Broadway in the heart of New York City on Monday (July 4).
Kellogg’s Cafe, as it is called, is part innovation and experimentation centre, and part brand building exercise. It will serve dishes featuring Kellogg’s cereals combined with unique ingredients, “all served with a side of fun”, the company says.
“Kellogg’s NYC will be a destination that reminds guests of home and drives new curiosity around the cereal bowl.”
The FMCG company has partnered with foodies Anthony Rudolf and Sandra Di Capua of Journee and formerly of Thomas Keller Restaurant Group and Eleven Madison Park respectively.
And award-winning chef Christina Tosi was brought on board to develop some of the cafe’s menu items, proving that a few innovative ingredients, such as lime zest, marshmallows and blueberry jam, can go a long way when it comes to brightening a bowl of cereal.
“Kellogg’s NYC will remind families how fun and delicious cereal is, especially when elevated with creative ingredients,” said Rudolf. “We’ll give guests a chance to experience cereal, something they’ve been connected to their entire lives, in a completely new way.”
“I’ve been a cereal lover since I was a kid,” said Tosi. “I believe in the excitement a bowl of cereal can bring any time of the day and I’m so excited to bring back a household staple in a fun, creative way.”
The menu at Kellogg’s Cafe includes an all-day menu of breakfast items, evening snacks and even ice cream. For example:
- Pistachio Lemon: Kellogg’s Special K Original, Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes, pistachios, lemon zest, thyme.
- Berry Me in Green Tea: Kellogg’s Rice Krispies, fresh strawberries, green tea powder.
- The Chai Line: Kellogg’s Crispix, fresh peaches, chai tea powder.
Ice cream based creations:
- Life in Color: Kellogg’s Froot Loops, lime zest, marshmallows, passion fruit jam.
- Honey Buzz: Kellogg’s Honey Smacks, honey, toasted pecan, banana chips.
- You’re Cracklin’ Me Up: Kellogg’s Cracklin Oat Bran, dried cranberries, white chocolate, toasted coconut.
Guests can customise their dishes by incorporating dozens of toppings and can also enjoy an assortment of juices and coffee from artisan suppliers.
The cafe will have dine in or carry out options and there are plans to launch a delivery service later in the year. Menu items range from US$6 to $8, and will rotate every three months.
by Inside Retail Asia